Sunday, June 15, 2014

When It's Your Own

     The daughter of a family friend of ours came out as gay last year and has been with her girlfriend for a few years I think. Her family is very conservative/fundamentalist Christian and I guess her mom told mine that she still loved her daughter but was devastated that she wouldn't be able to spend the afterlife with her. How horrifying. They were talking today and my mom told me how she feels sorry for this girl's mom because she's really struggling with it, while the father just ignores the situation completely.
I understand that it must be hard for the mother as well, but that poor girl. She moved states away from home after college and I can see why. How must it feel to know that your orientation will never be accepted by your family? What happens if they decide to get married? The dad won't be able ignore it any more.
     I am afraid of coming out because of my friends'/acquaintances' reactions, even if they're not overt. But my biggest fear is coming out to my family. I think being bi might make it even more complicated than being gay. I've tried before, to my mom, but she pretty much told me she thought I might be confused (there it is again) about romantic feelings versus friendship feelings for women. I ended up just agreeing with her and that was that. It's one thing to be supportive of LGBTQ marriage and rights (as both my parents are), and another to have your own child come out, I'm sure. My parents attended a lesbian wedding a year or two ago, and my dad said he had a slight reaction when they kissed. An uncomfortable feeling, I guess. I was happy he was able to admit it, but it left me really depressed and hurt. If I ever marry a woman, I know my dad will have that same feeling when I kiss my wife. That hurts so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment